The Top 10 Pound for Pound Fighters in MMA Right Now.
by, 12-23-2011 at 01:10 AM (8184 Views)
In a sport the likes of MMA, it's hard to advance since the opposition in each weight group is about equal in skills to each other. There are a few that dominate their division, but what I'm looking for here is pound for pound fighters. These Top 10 on my list are arguably the very best in MMA at this present time. Pound for Pound they can deliver. I know there are not a lot of people on this site that are familiar with the art/sport of MMA, but like it or not it is growing faster than wrestling ever has. I'm going to introduce you to some of the best fighters in MMA today in the hopes of drawing some interest in the sport on this forum.
Counting down the Top 10 Pound for Pound MMA Fighters:
10. Chan Sung Jung - Nicknamed "The Korean Zombie", he is one of the top featherweights in the world at 5'7" and 145 Lbs. Fighting for the UFC out of Po-Hang, South Korea and a MMA record of 12-3-0, he has raw punching power - a granite jaw - and is very aggressive in the cage. He last fought @ UFC 140, KO Mark "The Machine" Hominick in just 7 seconds of the very first round! A must watch fighter that's climbing the ranks fast.
9. Dan "Hendo" Henderson - Standing 6'1" and weighing 205 Lbs with a MMA record of 29-8-0, Henderson is a very formidable adversary. Equipped with mental attitude, wrestling, and knockout power in both hands - Hendo is the former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion, but now fighting for the UFC out of Temecula, California USA. After his last fight @UFC 139 defeating Mauricio "Shogun" Rua he jumped up in the top 10 list. If you think Hendo is ranked too high, look at it this way: Henderson is 5-1 in his last six fights, including knockouts at middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight. That's the definition of pound for pound fighting right there.
8. Dominick Cruz - The current UFC bantamweight champion standing 5'8" and weighing 135 Lbs. At age 26 and a MMA record of 19 -1, Cruz is one of the best young fighters in the sport and has only one loss on his record, which he has since avenged. He has conditioning and punching power and fights out of San Diego, CA USA. His next fight is against Urijah Faber in the third fight of their trilogy and it's for the title.
7. Gilbert “El Nino” Melendez - The current Strikeforce lightweight champion fighting out of San Francisco, California, Melendez has a MMA record of 20-2 and studies wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and Muay Thai. He stands 5'9" and weighs 155 Lbs and is a force to be reckoned with in the sport of MMA.
6. Cris "Cyborg" Santos - Strikeforce's women featherweight champion, Santos is a figure of domination in womens MMA. At 5'8" and 145 Lbs of muscle, she is only 26 and trained in the arts of Muay Thai, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Fighting out of San Diego, CA - she is the premier pound for pound womens MMA fighter in the world today.
5. Jose "Junior" Aldo - UFC's world featherweight champion at 5'7" and 145 Lbs, Aldo - age 25 - fights out of Rio de Janeiro Brazil and has a very strong striking and ground game. Jose Aldo is one of the most explosive fighters in MMA with a record of 20-1-0. His next fight is against undefeated Chad Mendes at UFC 142.
4. Frankie "The Answer" Edgar - Current UFC lightweight champion at 30 years of age, 5'6" and 155 Lbs. Edgar fights out of Toms River, NJ USA and has great cardio and wrestling skills. In his last fight @ UFC 136, he KO'ed Gray Maynard in the 4th round. Dana White stated that Edgar was a 145-pounder who was winning at 155 and he does epitomize the definition of pound-for-pound.
3. Georges "Rush" St-Pierre - UFC welterweight champion at 30 years of age - 5'11" and 170 Lbs, GSP fights out of Montreal, Quebec Canada and has a record of 22-2-0. Being very well rounded, athletic, and with a strict discipline - GSP is always brought up when talking about the best pound for pound fighter in MMA. His last fight saw him squeak out a win vs Jake Shields, another top fighter. And his next fight is supposed to be against Nick Diaz - another contender for the pound for pound best.
2. Jon "Bones" Jones - This UFC light heavyweight champ is only 24 years old, stands 6'4" and weighs 205 Lbs. Jon Jones is fast becoming one of the most watch champions in MMA and has all the tools to become one of the greatest of all time. He submitted Lyoto Machida in round 2 of UFC 140. Time will tell if he makes it as the top pound for pound fighter in MMA history.
1. Anderson "The Spider" Silva - The current UFC middleweight champion of the world is age 36 - 6'2" - 185 Lbs. Fighting out of Curitiba, Brazil - Silva gets the nod as the #1 pound-for-pound fighter on the planet. Very well rounded and a phenomenal striker, Anderson Silva is the man. Silva's last fight saw him knock out the last man to defeat him in Yushin Okami @ UFC Rio.
This is my list of the top 10 pound for pound fighters. The realm of MMA is fascinating and exciting, with more technical skill sets than you'd ever see inside a wrestling ring. The fastest growing sport in the world today with some of the best fighters in the world also. You should take the time to watch some MMA if you already haven't seen any yet and join us in the MMA forum where UFC 141 is the next topic on the agenda.