5 Ring of Honor Wrestlers to look out for in 2012
by, 02-02-2012 at 02:10 PM (3737 Views)
5. Michael Elgin: After posting a very strong 2011, Elgin seems destined to really break out in 2012. The 245 pound, strong, agile, monster won the Survival of the Fittest tournament in 2011, guaranteeing himself a World Title shot sometime this year. I'd be surprised if he gets the World Title this year, but I could certainly see him winning the TV title this year.
4. Kyle O'Reilly: Being a part of one the hottest, young, up and coming tag teams in wrestling certainly helps O'Reilly's case. But looking beyond that, he has the wrestling capability to hang with the top guys and is well over with the crowd. Hanging around the World Champion, Davey Richards will also help you get to the top, possibly setting up a match between them in the future. Though, i'd would love to see Future Shock win the Tag Team Championship before O'Reilly breaks out.
3. Roderick Strong: Already established as one of the best wrestlers that ROH has to offer, the Messiah of the Backbreaker is poised to have a great 2012. Strong is only a TV Title away from becoming ROHs 2nd Triple Crown Champion, which I believe is being set up due to Strong winning the proving ground challenge against TV Champion Jay Lethal. He's constantly in the title picture putting up match of the year type matches with Eddie Edwards, Davey Richards and Chris Hero. Speaking of which...
2. Chris Hero: A veteran in the ROH locker room, it wasn't long ago that Hero looked to be departing for the "big time". After things seemingly fell through, Hero made his surprise return to ROH at Final Battle 2011. For the moment, it looks like Hero will be sticking around as a singles competitor and with that being the case, it could very well be Hero's time. He's never had too much time to shine as a singles wrestler in ROH, but given his lanky body type, he has impressive wrestling and athletic skill and can certainly cut a good promo. All of those attributes may push him to the top of ROH.
1. Kevin Steen: There is no question in my mind that 2011 belonged to Kevin Steen. Only wrestling once in an ROH ring, that statement sounds a bit weird. But after making statement after statement all year round, and getting his chance to get back in an ROH ring, he seems hell bent on taking over. With his message to Davey Richards delivered in the final minutes of Final Battle 2011, his sights are set on taking that ROH Championship away.