Jim Ross was James Hale's guest on this afternoon's program on Sportstalk 1400 The Ref, and the following are some interview highlights:
- JR said he just got done doing voice overs for WWE '13.
- Was asked if we would see him back in the broadcast booth and he said not for the foreseeable future. Said he was staying busy and was especially busy WrestleMania week. Glad he is not traveling 50 weeks a year but definitely not just lounging around the house.
- Talked about only missing 3 OU games since 1999 and is really excited about OU's wrestling program getting better.
- Talked about the NBA Playoffs and how much he is getting into the Thunder. Thinks the Thunder-Mavericks series will go the distance.
- After a commercial break, took a call from a fan who complemented Michael Cole but stated something was missing from the commentary. JR stated that it is just a different era and happens in all sports. JR said he was fortunate enough to start out in the '70s in the territory area and able to develop his own style while listening and learning from the commentators that came before him. JR said that Cole just hasn't had the experiences that he has and that experience is huge. Went back to the analogy of other sports and stated that he watched the TNT broadcast of the Thunder game and it was "fair at best". He said he has had a wonderful run and he's "not done yet".
- Discussed the Saints situation with Jonathon Vilma being suspended for year. Said that he was losing money but also losing a year of his career and that these players have expiration dates so that year was going to hurt because he could never get it back. Said it was a "heavy" penalty and that JR was "startled" when he heard how severe it was. Said that Roger Goodell is sending a message that this should never happen again.
- Closed out the interview by plugging his BBQ products and where they could be purchased at in OK. Promoted his Twitter Account and said "life is good"!