Source: Larry Csona
Here is a recap of a TNA conference call earlier today featuring Christopher Daniels:
* The call started at 2:03 PM ET.
* We are welcomed to the call, which is to promote Sunday’s Turning Point PPV. They run down the current PPV card, as well of a brief preview of tomorrow’s Impact Wrestling.
* Daniels is asked about reinventing himself with Kaz, and he says he is thrilled with what they have done. They have been friends for so long, he knew it would be a success. He feels that they are the best tag team in the business, right now.
* When asked about the importance of tag team wrestling, he says it all depends on the talent involved. He says that there have been times in TNA where they had great teams, and it thrived, as he notes Beer Money and the Machine Guns specifically. He and Kaz are concentrated on being the best, and the more success they have, the more TNA will focus on tag teams.
* Daniels discuses his relationship with Kaz, meeting back in So Cal. He met Kaz there, they did shows, but it was when TNA took off when they were always booked, and had a bond as they traveled together. On their work together, Daniels says that they are being themselves, being sarcastic and such. They simply play off each other well, and they are collaborating with creative very well at this time.
* Daniels and Kaz are compared to Edge and Christian back in the day, and then asked about having freedom since they aren’t in the Aces and 8s angle. Daniels says that the angle is big, but is focused on the faces, which they are not. He and Kaz are building chemistry daily, and now people pay attention to them as they do their own thing.
* As far as future tag team opponents, Daniels says the division will grow once there is one dominant tag team, and they plan to win the titles Sunday. He says they have an open challenge to anyone to take them on. They want to be like AMW, Beer Money and the other dominant TNA teams. He says teams will line up to be beaten by them.
* Daniels is asked about winning the world title before his career is over, and he says he would love that, but it is all about opportunity. He feels the work he is doing is great, and he is closer than ever to winning a title. He cites Mark Henry who had a long career, and then got hot and won the title and succeeded. If it doesn’t happen, he knows he had a great career.
* On his TNA career, he is asked about being a locker room leader, and he says he feels like people can come and talk to him and he has always been approachable to anyone that has asked. But his goal is to make the product better, and even he is still earning at this stage of his career.
* Daniels is asked about the comedy that he and Kaz sometimes do, and he says that all the stuff they do is their ideas, like the scarf and appletinis. He has been lucky that they have gotten over with the crowds. Of note he doesn’t believe in drinking and wrestling.
* When asked about coming to Australia, he hopes to return soon and hopes TNA can tour there soon as well.
* On the Claire Lynch angle, it was a gamble to bring a non-wrestler in for the angle. But he feels they went outside the box, but it sort of bit them due to the character actor leaving as she did. He adds that they could have prepared her better, but the angle was to make AJ more virtuous, and he and Kaz more evil, and he feels they did that. It could have been better for sure, but they accomplished good things.
* He adds that he and Kaz are having the times of their lives right now, and feels that it comes out on TV.
* On working various tag teams with AJ, XXX and others, he feels that he and AJ could have been the team, but that wasn’t TNA’s plan. But now, TNA sees the potential with he and Kaz, and feels that the company is behind them. When asked about Chavo and Hernandez, he says they are good and puts them over, but he and Kaz have the better chemistry due to their relationship. He says Chavo is a ring general, and that Hernandez has always been best in a tag team setting. But he and Kaz will be the team of 2012, and of 2013 and going forward.
* Daniels is asked about the younger talent in TNA, and Daniels says that Sonjay Dutt is a guy that should be the guy in the X-Division. Also, he says Kenny King is great al around, and he just needs the chances to get over. He says they could reignite the division. They need new blood for that to happen.
* On TNA Gutcheck, Daniels says it is a new idea, and that you won’t always get someone ready for TV, which can hurt the process. But for every guy that isn’t ready, you’ll get a Christian York that needs to be on TV. He thinks York should win the chance.
* Daniels is asked about working with Chavo, who he puts over as one of the best they have. He feels they have had similar careers, and that they are both ring generals that can work with anyone because they can adapt. He adds that people were surprised that they had never faced before when they had their first singles match. He enjoys working with guys like Chavo.
* On Daniels saying that he feels he is closer to the TNA title, and guys like Storm and Roode using their tag team fame to get to the next level. Daniels says it is encouraging, and that TNA is giving opportunities to guys like Austin Aries, who was almost gone from wrestling. But he came in, caught fire, TNA responded and he took the ball and ran with it. He feels he could do the same thing and that he could get the chance. Daniels says he is doing the best work of his career, in and out of the ring, and if he keeps it up, he could be the guy.
* Daniels is asked about being a fan of comics and such, and if he would go into movies. He says he has the background and would love to do that if the chance came around. He wouldn’t hesitate using his connections to get into the next Avengers film.
* When asked about the Gutcheck being used for tag teams, he says he would love to do that. He feels that it is only a matter of time, and since he and Kaz are the standard, they would be perfect to try them out.
* Daniels is asked about who influenced his work, and says that he grew up in NC, and watched the NWA. He saw the bigger guys, and never thought he could be that guy. But then he saw guys like HBK and Sean Waltman, so they inspired him. He has had the chances to go to Japan and Mexico, which worked well for him and his size and style. On his style and having to change it, he says he has been careful and never did stuff that he felt he couldn’t do. He doesn’t think he takes reckless risks. He feels he could work his style five days a week, all year long because he feels good.
* Daniels is asked about what motivates him at this stage of his career, and he says he still has goals. To be world champion is one of them, and if you do not want that, you are missing the boat and shouldn’t be in the business. 20-years in, he wants to win the tag titles again because he and Kaz are just hitting their stride. Having goals motivates him to be in shape, to do new things and to succeed. They want to build their legacy, and that takes time, and is a goal he shares with Kaz.
* When asked about being happy if he had to retire at the end of 2012, he says he wouldn’t want it to come that fast, but he would have to step back and take stock at what he has accomplished. He has been with TNA for 10-years, did great things in ROH, main evented all over the world, on TV and PPV, and at the end of the day, he supported his family doing what he loves. He has been full time since 1999, and he never thought back in the day that it would be possible. He is satisfied with what he has done.
* The call ends at 2:45 PM ET.