Ortiz, who was scheduled to fight Quinton “Rampage” Jackson in the main event of the show, reportedly fractured his neck in training. The fight between the two has been canceled, but there are still plans to try and schedule the match down the road, if Ortiz is ever able to fight again, which in and of itself remains a question mark.
The rest of the card that was scheduled for the Bellator pay-per-view will now air as a free card on Spike TV on Saturday, November 2nd.
Fans who had already ordered the pay-per-view event in advance will receive a complete refund of their money.
Bellator MMA fighter Quinton “Rampage” Jackson appeared on AXS TV’s Inside MMA on Friday (October 25) to discuss the recent cancellation of his bout with Tito Ortiz for Bellator 106. Below are some highlights and a video of the segments:
Jackson on wanting a replacement opponent: “If I’m going to keep it real, I would have said, ‘Look, throw another opponent at me and still keep the PPV because I trained really hard for this and had my knees fixed,'” he said. “I wanted to show the world and the fans that still support me that I’m back. Everybody thought I was done after I lost my fight to ‘Shogun’ (Rua). … Throw somebody else in there like ‘Kimbo Slice,’ Houston Alexander, anyone in Bellator. … People talking about Tyrone Spong – I don’t know his name. Throw anybody in there. I’m ready. I’ll fight anybody. Pull Chuck Liddell out of retirement.”
Jackson on wishing Ortiz a full recovery: “I hope Tito has a speedy recovery. I know how it is when you’re a warrior and you’ve been injured. Hell, I’ve been injured my last two fights. It’s not a pretty sight. It’s really hard.”