-- There will be a hearing on April 2nd in regards to the lawsuit from musician Anthony Dash against Floyd Mayweather Jr. and WWE, This is in regards to Mayweather allegedly using Dash's music to come to the ring without permission. The hearing will determine a WWE request for Summary Judgment Regarding Dash's claims to entitlement regarding copyright damages from their use of the song at Wrestlemania 24 and Monday Night Raw. It will also call for a summary judgment on Dash's alleged lost profits due to the use.
Dash claims that back n 2005, he created a musical track titled "Tony Gunz Beat." He claims in the suit that Mayweather, in his Wrestlemania 24 bout against The Big Show in March 2008, as well as on an edition of WWE Monday Night Raw, used theme music titled "Yep." Thelawsuit claims that the track, "is music that includes Plaintiff's Tony Gunz Beat track, with lyrics added to the track." However, the lawsuit filing does not attempt to explain how Dash's work may have be misappropriated and turned into the theme music, but Dash claims he owns the filed copyright on the original music.
WWE's claim is that the were planning to use a 50 Cent song, but that the nigh tof the PPV, Mayweather's manager, Leonard Ellerbe gave WWE's Vice President, Music, Neil Lawi a CD of the contested song and requested the company play that instead. Also, Mayweather's reps claimed he owned the rights to the music and gave WWE express permission to reproduce it in conjunction with the Wrestlemania release. Mayweather has confirmed the story, Lawi has already stated on record that the company was not aware of any copyright issues until well after the event took place because Dash did not file any claims until after they had taken place.
Dash claims that the defendants have made millions off of his copyrighted work, and has requested an accounting of "all gains, profits and advantages from their act of infringement". He also claims that despite numerous cease and desist orders sent to Mayweather, the usage of the track has continued via online videos and DVD sales. Dash is asking for $150,000 per copyrighted work infringed as well as preliminary and permanent injunctive relief to stop the Defendant's "ongoing infringement of Plaintiff's copyright." On top of that, the lawsuit also calls for any and all copies of the Plaintiff's works be destroyed "or otherwise appropriately disposed of."
It should be noted that WWE has quietly stopped producing the Wrestlemania 24 DVD while the legal situation is ongoing.
-- Here is what is on tap for tonight's WWE Smackdown tapings…
* More names for the Team Johnny vs. Team Teddy 12-man tag match at WrestleMania are expected to be confirmed.
* Triple H advertised for an appearance at the tapings.
* John Cena vs. Kane in a cage match has been advertised for the show.
* Episode 55 of WWE NXT will be taped tonight. Tyson Kidd vs. Michael McGillicutty has been announced for the show.
-- CHIKARA sent out the following today…
The whole CHIKARA gang is headed to the frosty tundra of Canada this weekend, and we have a loaded card of mega-matches in store for the CHIKARMY when we hit Vaughan (just outside of Toronto!) Here's what you will see:
1) MAIN EVENT for Los Campeonatos de Parejas: 3.0 will challenge F.I.S.T.!
2) Non-title action as CHIKARA Grand Champion Eddie Kingston faces Ophidian!
3) 4 Corner Elimination Tag Action featuring Los Ice Creams vs. Spectral Envoy vs.The Colony vs. The Batiri!
4) First-time Singles Encounter as the "Big Rig" Brodie Lee meets Fire Ant!
5) The Shard & 17 look to wage tag team war against former champs Jigsaw & "The Master of a Thousand Holds" Mike Quackenbush!
6) In a Featured Attraction Match, the world-traveled El Generico squares off withTim Donst!
7) A Special Return Bout is set: Archibald Peck vs. Dasher Hatfield!
8) It's an Intergender Showdown when Kobald faces Sara Del Rey one-on-one!
Plus: Trios action showcasing the stars of Squared Circle!