- WWE Open.
- A video package aired profiling Alberto Del Rio and his feud with Sheamus thus far. They also aired Booker’s WWE.com exclusive interview proclaiming Del Rio out of the Summerslam title match.
- In the arena at the University of Texas, ADR’s music immediately hit, and he walked out with Ricardo Rodriguez. Michael Cole and Josh Mathews were shown on commentary as well. Del Rio on the mic ran down Sheamus, claiming it was Sheamus who cried to Booker about getting him booted out of the title match. Booker T. apparently had heard enough already, and his music interrupted Del Rio’s interview.
Del Rio said Sheamus messed with his property so he made him pay, which is what a real man does. Booker said a “real man” doesn’t hire five goons to beat up one guy. Del Rio said he spoke with his lawyers, but before he could give the result of that skull session, Chris Jericho’s theme hit and he walked out in jeans and a t-shirt.
Jericho made fun of Del Rio’s complaining and even spoke Spanish to Del Rio. He translated to English, telling the fans he said Del Rio’s breath smells like dog poop. Man, the promos that heel Jericho would cut on babyface Jericho. Jericho said he just might take Del Rio’s spot in the title match after beating Dolph Ziggler at Summerslam. Booker interjected, saying Sheamus will not be competing at Summerslam, presumably due to last week’s attack. Before addressing that situation further, Booker made a match for tonight: For the first time ever on Smackdown, Jericho vs. Del Rio. It was another one of those “we want this main event, but how do we get there?” segments where Jericho had a pretty flimsy reason to interrupt only to be then put in a match.
- Tonight, we’ll get the latest on the injuries suffered by Shawn Michaels at the hands of Brock Lesnar on Raw.
- Next, Rey Mysterio & Sin Cara vs. Cody Rhodes & The Miz.
1 – REY MYSTERIO & SIN CARA vs. THE MIZ & CODY RHODES
Rhodes cut a promo on the way to the ring, continuing the narrative that Cara is ugly under the mask. Rhodes presented “Sin Cara: nmasked,” which was a drawing of an ugly guy with huge teeth and ears. “Ugly as sin,” said Rhodes to end the promo.
Rey and Cara wasted no time flying outside the ring on both Rhodes and Miz. Rhodes got the better of Cara in the ring, dropping Cara with a face-first suplex. During his attack, Rhodes went after Cara’s mask on numerous occasions. Cara came back and tagged Rey. Miz broke up a pin attempt, but Cara took Miz down with a headscissors, then both went tumbling over the top rope. As Cara tried to skin the cat, Rhodes grabbed the mask and almost pulled it off. But Rey hit the 619 on Cody, then a splash off the top for the win.
WINNERS: Cara and Mysterio, at 4:21. I really liked that finishing sequence, from Cara trying to skin the cat to Cody trying to unmask him, but being vulnerable to the 619.
After the match, Miz tried to attack Mysterio with the Intercontinental Title. Rey saw it coming though and hit Miz with the 619. He held the IC Title over his head outside the ring, where Miz had dropped it.
- Still to come tonight, Randy Orton takes on Daniel Bryan in one-on-one action.
- Mathews plugged the United States Title match between Santino Marella and Antonio Cesaro that will take place on the Summerslam pre-show.
- Tyler Reks and Curt Hawkins were announced for a match, but they came to the ring where suits. They had black jackets and red button-up shirts. Reks demanded music be played and they danced and did some stripping. They’ve alluded to Reks being a stripper previously on the show, I believe.
2 – TYLER REKS & CURT HAWKINS vs. TWO JOBBERS
Hawkins and Reks both wore tights that looked like briefs. Reks with a hip-toss to the jobber, who tagged in his partner. Some double-teaming by the heels. Powerslam by Hawkins, followed by some gyrating. Double-team neck-breaker finisher for the win.
WINNERS: Reks and Hawkins, at 1:37. At least they have a gimmick now instead of “two guys who always wrestle on Superstars.”
- We’ll get a replay of what happened on Monday between Brock Lesnar and Shawn Michaels.
- The announcers talked about the WWE Championship match slated for Summerslam. They also aired a video package previewing the match as well as profiling Punk’s title reign.
- Eve Torres was walking backstage. She ran into William Regal, who wished her luck. Regal reminisced about when he was in charge of Raw. A woman then walked up to Regal and reminded him to take out the trash. She handed him two garbage bags. “Well…work is work, isn’t it?” Regal remarked to Eve. Eve vs. Kaitlyn is next.
- Another Wade Barrett vignette aired.
- Teddy Long was at ringside for the next match.
3 – KAITLYN vs. EVE TORRES – WINNER DECLARED BOOKER T.’S ASSISTANT
Seems a little of demeaning to have women fight over the opportunity to be an assistant. During Kaitlyn’s intro, they replayed part of the tag match from Raw. Eve slapped Kaitlyn, then gave her a waist-lock take-down. Back body-drop by Kaitlyn, in which Eve seemed to lose control of her limbs as she flipped over Kaitlyn. Inside cradle by Kaitlyn for only two. Eve booted Kaitlyn down on a charge, but Kaitlyn went to the top rope. Eve pulled her down by the arm and gave her a neck-breaker for three.
WINNER: Eve, at 2:16. If Booker and Teddy didn’t want Eve in the cabinet, why even give her the opportunity? Speaking of “opportunity,” WWE once again passed up the opportunity to do something with Kaitlyn.
- Up next, Randy... (Continues on next page)