The following is reported by Greg Parks from PWTorch.com
WWE Smackdown review
September 7, 2012
Taped 9/4/12 in Moline, Ill.
Aired on SYFY
By Greg Parks, PWTorch Columnist (Twitter: @gregmparks)
- WWE Open.
- The Brogue Kick Sheamus delivered to Ricardo Rodriguez on Raw was replayed, as well as a Tout from Ricardo’s legal counsel, David Otunga.
- Backstage at Smackdown, Alberto Del Rio, Rodriguez (in a neck brace) and Otunga were just leaving the Smackdown General Manager’s office. Rodriguez still appeared to be in quite a bit of pain.
- Smackdown Open.
- In the arena, Del Rio, Rodriguez, and Otunga were coming to the ring. Rodriguez winced with every step. Del Rio got the mic and said he’s on the greatest roll of his career. Huh? He reasoned that he recently beat Randy Orton, Kane, and he destroyed John Cena on Monday. He said in two weeks, he’ll be facing Sheamus at Night of Champions for the World Title. But Sheamus has the advantage, since he has something more dangerous than a steel chair, and something that should be outlawed: The Brogue Kick. Del Rio tried to make a case for it deserving to be banned. Del Rio said kicking someone in the head is a criminal act. Del Rio pointed to Rodriguez, calling him his “only friend.” And now, he might have permanent physical damage. He said dozens and hundreds have suffered from the Brogue Kick. Del Rio defended his finisher, calling it a work of art, among other things. I love how he described his cross arm-breaker.
David Otunga then took the mic. He said Sheamus’ actions toward Ricardo were malicious. Otunga cued up a video package, making the Brogue Kick seem like an instrument of death. He said they met with Booker T. in the hopes of getting compensation and making the kick illegal. Before he could continue, Booker’s music hit and he walked onto the stage. Booker was unhappy, as what they talked about before the show was supposed to be confidential. Booker said Otunga is taking his case to the people, so Booker will do the same. He asked them if the kicks should be illegal. Jury of Ricardo’s peers, I suppose. Booker refused to ban the Brogue Kick, by popular demand.
- Michael Cole and Josh Mathews discussed what just happened on camera. Mathews transitioned into talking about Booker fining Kane for attacking Mathews. Cole also said Lawler was bruised and shaken up after the attack on him before Raw, and Cole deemed the work environment unsafe for announcers in WWE.
- Tonight, we’ll see what happened with C.M. Punk on Raw.
- Next, Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara vs. Cody Rhodes and the Miz.
1 – REY MYSTERIO & SIN CARA vs. CODY RHODES & THE MIZ
Rey and Cara got the better of Miz early on with some teamwork. They cut to break with Cara in control at 1:04 of the match.
Back at 4:59 of the match with Cara still in control, this time against Rhodes. Miz saved Rhodes from falling victim to the 619, but when Mysterio went outside the ring to do more damage, Miz created a distraction and Rhodes attacked him from behind. Mysterio made the tag at 6:34 and Cara connected with his flashy offense. Miz was yelling directives to Rhodes from the apron, leading to him getting the tag while Cara tried a sunset flip on Rhodes. Miz with a double axe-handle off the top rope for a two count. Mysterio and Miz both tagged in at 9:09. The crowd was visibly behind Mysterio. Boot to the face of the seated Mysterio by Miz for a near-fall. Miz and Mysterio were wearing matching color schemes. Roll-up by Rey, and Rhodes came in to make the kick, but Rey rolled over so that Miz was exposed to take the kick. Cara kept Rhodes at back, including nailing him with a corkscrew plancha on the outside. 619 by Mysterio, then a splash off the top to finish it.
WINNERS: Mysterio and Cara, at 11:03. Looks like Rey will stay in the IC Title hunt, getting a pinfall over the champion here, plus it continues Rhodes vs. Cara.
- The finish of the match was replayed, then the announcers used the iPad to show fans how to visit WWE.com on one.
- Daniel Bryan was walking backstage, trying to stay calm when Hornswoggle walked up and asked for a hug. Then he said he was just kidding and offered a handshake. Bryan accepted and smiled, but Horny stepped on Bryan’s foot and ran away, causing Daniel to try his best not to erupt.
- Otunga and Booker were having a conversation backstage. Otunga said he couldn’t believe Booker put the health of his wrestlers in the hands of fans. Otunga showed Booker a slideshow of guys taking the Brogue Kick. Booker relented, saying he’d at least think about making the kick illegal. Otunga said it wasn’t good enough – he would show Booker more proof in the training room.
- The announcers again reacted to the updated Brogue Kick situation. Mathews threw it to a video of Kane and Daniel Bryan hugging it out on Raw.
- Daniel Bryan came to the ring for a match. It’s next.
2 – DANIEL BRYAN vs. ZACK RYDER
The crowd was into the match early, but Bryan stopped it by kicking away at Ryder, yelling “no!” in the process. Bryan kneed Ryder in the chest and got a two-count. Ryder came back with a face-plant and a clothesline. Broski Boot was lined up and he nailed Bryan with it. Bryan begged off when Ryder readied for the finish. He apologized to Ryder as the crowd chanted “yes!” Bryan asked for a hug from Ryder, and of course, Ryder, the idiot, accepted. They hugged, then Bryan turned it into the No Lock for the win.
WINNER: Bryan, via submission, at 2:58.
Bryan applied the move once again after the match. The referee then reversed the decision.
WINNER: Ryder, via reverse decision, at 2:58. I see why Ryder played this part, as they had to have a character oppose Bryan who would get a pop upon the reversing of the... (Continues on next page)