The Sandman Enters
This would always be a brutal main event, but no one predicted that The Sandman would have one of the greatest entrances in the history of wrestling. Sadly, the link I provided is from footage which has cut Metallica’s “Enter Sandman” and the fans singing along to it. Luckily for us, I have found an unedited version of it! Bask in the glory of what is The Sandman entering to a sold out Hammerstein Ballroom singing in unison. The Sandman is already busted open before they even begin. He also calls the invaders a bunch of tossers.
“Say your prayers little one
Don’t forget, my son
To include everyone
Tuck you in, warm within
Keep you free from sin
‘Till the sandman he comes
Sleep with one eye open
Gripping your pillow tightExit, light
Take my hand
We’re off to never-never landSomethings wrong, shut the light
Heavy thoughts tonight
And they aren’t of Snow White
Dreams of war, dreams of liars
Dreams of dragon’s fire
And of things that will bite
Sleep with one eye open
Gripping your pillow tight”
“We’re Taking Over!”
Before this match gets started, the four fist bump each other as a mark of respect. Wait, what’s that music?? It’s the Blue World Order! Joey Styles jokes that WCW couldn’t sue them because the gimmick is a parody.
Big Stevie Cool (Steven Richards) tells us he’s heard a lot of people talk about invading, about crusading, but you cannot have a real, true hardcore invasion without the BWO! With that being said, they have three simple words for ya… “We’re taking over!”, and then he kicks Sandman in the face. The Dudleys jump on this and it prompts Kid Kash to enter; who according to Styles is “Mr. TNA, Total Nonstop Attitude” (he was fired from TNA earlier that year for criticizing the company). Axl Rotten & Balls Mahoney, the Chair Swinging Franks (both RIP) are out next to smash the BWO with chairs. Styles: “That’s more painful than having to be Simon Dean on TV”.
Kid Kash hits a SICK springboard somersault dive! That was $$$$. Foley chants “ECW!”; he’s seriously in to all of this carnage. And finally, we get a bell ring, signifying the main event has begun. Oh, did you know this was the last Dudley Boyz match in WWE for over a decade? And WWE ensured they weren’t allowed to use the “Dudley” name, so they became Team 3D in NWA:TNA and Japan til their return in 2015.
#7: Tommy Dreamer & The Sandman vs. The Dudley Boyz
There’s so much going on here that I feel the need to bullet point key events. Don’t judge me! It’s an ECW main event.
- A steel chair and a cheese grater across the forehead busts Tommy Dreamer open something wicked, like something out of a horror movie.
- Sandman introduces a ladder, and Dreamer takes it for an aeroplane spin, taking down everything that moves.
- The Sandman places the ladder on top of D-Von and crashes down on him with a senton bomb.
- Bubba Ray wrapping a chair around Sandman’s head gets a “Holy Shit!” chant.
- D-Von misses Sandman and cracks his brother in the face with a kendo stick
- Dreamer & Sandman lock in Figure Four Leg Locks, and the Impact Players Lance Storm & Justin Credible break it up.
- Justin Credible drops Sandman on to a barbed wire sphere with a tombstone piledriver.
- Francine low blows Dreamer in the nuts. It’s Beulah McGillicutty! CAT FIGHT!!!
- Tommy & Beulah fight off the Impact Players. They hug it out in the middle of the ring, then counter the Dudley Boyz with a double DDT. “She’s Hardcore!”
- Bubba gets pissed and stiff shots Dreamer in the back of the head with a kendo stick, and Sandman too, before throwing it up in the air and saying “Fuck This”. He gets his own table.
- Sandman goes through a table but they only get 2! What do the Dudleys have to do?!
- 3D on Dreamer! Bubba gets another table. He motions to someone to join them… it’s little Spike Dudley (in his last WWE PPV) and he’s got lighter fluid! Styles thinks they’re gonna’ be put in jail for this.
- They light the table and powerbomb Tommy through the flaming table!! OH MY GOD!!! 1-2-3, and this one is over! Winners: The Dudley Boyz
- Sandman saves Beulah from the Dudleys with a kendo stick. He yells for beer… has anyone got a beer?!
Stone Cold Steve Austin Is Here!
JBL’s face is priceless. Austin tells Sandman he doesn’t need one beer, he needs a whole case of beer. Tommy Dreamer is gone and likely getting medical attention, as Austin asks for everyone from the back to join them for a beer bash. The Dudleys remain. This includes: Mikey Whipwreck, Super Crazy, Tajiri, BWO, Al Snow, Tony Mamaluke, Tracy Smothers, Roadkill, Danny Doring, Axl Rotten, Balls Mahoney, Rhino, Masato Tanaka, CW Anderson, Chris Benoit, Rey Mysterio, Pitbull #1, Johnny Swinger.
ECW wrestlers we know were at the show (except Dreamer), who did not join the party include: Mike Awesome, Eddie Guerrero, Lance Storm, Justin Credible, Sabu, Rob Van Dam, Psicosis*, Little Guido, Big Guido, JT Smith and Chris Jericho.
*Joey Styles says he is out there but I cannot see him. Maybe he was scheduled to be there but chose not to?
Austin congratulates the ECW locker room on an epic night of brutality and violence. But all he’s been hearing is little Eric Bischoff, JBL with his little yellow tie, little sorry sum’bitch Kurt Angle, running their damn mouths saying they’re gonna’ whip somebody’s ass. So since they’ve been talkin’ so much trash, why don’t they get single file and march down to the ring?
They are reluctant, so Austin sits at ringside and drinks a beer. When they don’t move, he gives them til the count of 10, or he’s gonna’ come up there and slap the piss out of every single one of ’em. Upon counting, they soon start shuffling their asses to the ring. You can tell Austin is having a fun time here, he’s grinning like a Cheshire cat. There’s two guys I’m not accounting for on the ECW side, but it looks roughly like twenty-five ECW guys versus sixteen Raw/SmackDown superstars. The fans chant “We Want Taz!”, which is exactly what we get. Taz makes his way to the ring and the battle commences once he hits the ring. Meanwhile, Eric Bischoff has joined the commentary table.