Welcome back to another Monday Morning Q&A where I toss out some questions to get a feel of how you guys and gals are feeling about certain topics.
So here are 5 questions I’d like to toss out for this week. I’ll give my answers, too, but the key here is that I want to know what YOU think! So make sure you chime in!
1) What are some of your favorite Royal Rumble moments of all time?
- Shawn Michaels establishing the two-foot rule in 1995 was awesome.
- Everything with Stone Cold in 1997 (checking the watch, winning despite being eliminated) was great, too
- Jerry Lawler’s “it takes a king” elimination from 1997.
- I love the double-elimination from 1994’s finale.
- Kane’s streak in 2001
- Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker from 2007’s finale.
- Ric Flair’s promo after winning in 1992 and Bobby Heenan’s commentary during that match are classics.
- I loooooooooooove how John Morrison and Kofi Kingston have saved themselves from elimination. I look forward to that every year now. Shout out to Kacy Catanzaro and Naomi, too.
- John Cena’s return in 2008 was epic.
2) Do you think WWE will add any more matches to the Royal Rumble card? If so, what would that be?
I do think at least one more match will be added to the card, if not two. The Raw and SmackDown Tag Team Championships seem like they have proper setups. After RK-Bro wins the academic challenge, they should get a tag title shot. The Viking Raiders are already No. 1 contenders to The Usos, too.
Other than one or both of those happening (probably one on the kickoff), I don’t think anything else will be added to the card.
3) Are there any surprise entrants you’re expecting to see in either of the Royal Rumble matches?
Brock Lesnar or Roman Reigns dropping their title and entering to win makes sense to me. I’m also expecting Tommaso Ciampa and Pete Dunne, at the very least, to enter. GUNTHER is a possibility, along with a few others from NXT like Cameron Grimes, Dexter Lumis, and Grayson Waller, but Ciampa and Dunne are the only two I feel are practically certain.
With the women’s match, I think Bayley, Asuka and/or Lacey Evans will return. All three are possibilities, but it’s unknown what their time tables are for stepping back in the ring.
4) Cody Rhodes or Sammy Guevara. Who do you have walking out of Beach Break with the TNT Championship?
Cody Rhodes. Despite the whole contract situation, I just can’t imagine he’s not going to re-sign with All Elite Wrestling. He’s put far too much into that company, all his Nightmare talent are intertwined, and he’s got two other shows by proxy.
My guess is this is all blown out of proportion or entirely made up about the contract issues just to get people talking. Rhodes winning the title was for a reason that I doubt is “just to get the title off Sammy”, so why would they put the belt back on Sammy so quickly? The whole interim title thing is just a random circumstance from COVID and not the angle they probably were heading toward.
Rhodes wins. 100 percent.
5) AEW doesn’t seem to be re-signing some names like Marko Stunt, Peter Avalon, Joey Janela and possibly even Brian Cage and others. What are your thoughts on this?
I hate to see anyone lose their jobs, but assuming they can all get work elsewhere, I think this is good. Peter Avalon was a jobber character from the start and there’s a shelf life on that, but he can be a big deal in a smaller promotion and possibly work with AEW on a case-by-case basis. Joey Janela seems better suited for GCW and wasn’t amounting to much anyway. Marko Stunt was always the weakest link for Jurassic Express and I think Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus will be better off without him, as harsh as that sounds.
Brian Cage should go to WWE, if they’re willing and able to sign him. He just feels like he’s someone that company would do more with.
Generally speaking, this is good for AEW. It will free up some money to sign some other talent, and we all know that there are plenty ex-WWE people who would be better off in AEW they should snatch up. That will freshen up the roster, too.
But let’s not lose sight that anyone not getting their contract renewed means let’s hope they bounce back in some other way, rather than coming off “happy” that they’re gone.
Let us know your thoughts about these questions by answering them in the comments!