Welcome back to another round of Quick Takes—a post that indulges in the topics that aren’t worth dedicating a full article to, but are still on my mind.
Each week, I try to cram in as many smaller talking points as I can via a speedier process, and I invite you to chime in with your own thoughts about these topics and anything else by keeping the discussion going in the comments below! Drop some more talking points in there for everyone to chat it up about, too!
Without further ado, let’s get into this week’s topics.
Why was Nia Jax yelling out “my hole” on Monday Night Raw? Is it a matter of Nia doing these things (like the “she’s gonna have boobs on her back” thing) to pop herself? Does it just make Vince laugh? Is he the one writing it to begin with?
More time is spent on goofing around with nonsense like that and finally getting around to the logical tables match that should have happened in DECEMBER at, oh, I don’t know, the TABLES Ladders and Chairs pay-per-view, than focusing on building up The Road to WrestleMania. Maybe instead of writing a segment where Jax complains about her hole, they could have taken 5 minutes a few weeks back to figure out another person to fight Roman Reigns other than Kevin Owens for the fourth month straight. Or, maybe, they could have realized they didn’t have that proper setup back when they did the draft and everyone immediately thought “Oh wow. SmackDown has nobody for Roman. Should’ve thought of that ahead of time.”
Or maybe someone just got their notes mixed up and this was supposed to factor into Charly Caruso’s DP comments on Raw Talk.
You know WWE is going to run this into the ground, too. Someone thought it was funny and then, it gained traction on social media. Next week, she’ll probably go super over the top and they’ll give her a gimmick where she’s complaining and flailing around, going “My hole! Ow! My hole!” for the next few weeks. Yikes. That’s the state we’re in right now with WWE Creative.
No Women’s Elimination Chamber
As of this posting, no second Elimination Chamber match has been announced. In particular, rumors are circulating that the second one (if there is one) will be Roman Reigns defending the Universal Championship, rather than something revolving around the SmackDown Women’s Championship. Since Asuka is fighting Lacey Evans in a singles match, that means no women’s division cage match, unless there’s some switch-up or confusion and the tag titles are defended.
There are a few things to unpack here, and I don’t think I’ll get anywhere close to the full scope of my thoughts in a “Quick Takes”, but whatever.
- Evans vs. Asuka is lame. The whole feud revolves around Charlotte Flair and it’s ridiculous she’s one of the many examples of how WWE hasn’t cared about Asuka’s entire time as champion. Asuka is always pushed aside in favor of other people and stories on the roster (Lana vs Jax, for instance) and this is just the latest example. It could have easily been Asuka defending the Raw Women’s Championship in an Elimination Chamber match against Evans, Jax, Baszler, Flair and either Alexa Bliss or Nikki Cross or Lana or whoever.
- If they were to do one for Sasha Banks, I don’t know who would conceivably be in it. Carmella and Bayley, sure. Natalya, most likely. But other than that, do you put Billie Kay in? Tamina? It’s lackluster.
- Reigns defending inside the chamber is interesting because I’m not sure who would fit in that scenario, either. If we assume Edge is challenging Reigns, then I guess it could be Owens, Bryan, Cesaro, Nakamura, Corbin, Otis, Mysterio and so on. But I’d assume WWE wouldn’t want to necessarily throw Bryan out there already.
- I think some people would be upset that there’s no women’s match purely on the idea that “there’s no women’s cage match” and it flies in the face of equality. I can support that, to an extent. If there were no options to do a cage match, then I don’t think WWE should be forced to conjure one up out of nowhere that would make things more difficult just to check that box off the card. But since I already suggested Asuka’s match should be in the cage, this does annoy me. They had an option and they’ve chosen not to go in that direction, and I think it’s a mistake.
- Theoretically speaking, a women’s tag title cage match could work, too. Jax/Baszler, Rose/Brooke, Lana/Naomi, Riott Squad, Evans/Royce, Flair/Asuka, the winners of the Women’s Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic Tournament, Bayley/Carmella, Natalya/Tamina…you’ve got options.
I guess we’ll find out tonight or soon enough if there’s another cage match added to the card and if so, what it is.
Keith Lee and Mia Yim Engaged
Congrats! Hey, this is Quick Takes. What else is there to say?
What are your takes on these topics? Keep the discussion going in the comments below!