Noticed the AEW press conference wasn’t significantly covered by the news reporters on this site, probably busy, so I thought I’d provide some notable takeaways and information. Sorry for the delay for those who were interested.
– The All Elite Wrestling rally took place earlier in Jacksonville. The press conference started with hosts Conrad Thompson and Alex Marvez.
– Confirmed AEW signees, Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian, and Scorpio Sky were introduced first. Daniels noted that they became free agents near the end of 2018 and have now opted to sign with All Elite Wrestling.
– AEW Executive Vice President Cody Rhodes was introduced next. He stated that it was well documented that professional wrestlers were one of the least paid and they intend on changing that narrative in AEW. Cody said wins and losses will matter more than ever before and they will not coach fans on who to cheer or boo.
– Cody then introduced The Young Bucks. Matt Jackson said they were approached by the Khan family after All In and were asked if they wanted to change the world and the family offered to help do exactly that. The Khan family don’t care about race or gender concerning an individual, their doors are open and they are willing to help “change the world.” Matt praised and brought up some of the OWE talent in China and mentioned that they have made an agreement to bring them in to provide a major spotlight.
– The group announced the sequel to All In, Double or Nothing, will take place on Saturday, May 25th in Las Vegas.
– AEW Chief Brand Officer Brandi Rhodes was then introduced. She said there would be a strong women’s division consisting of some of the most prominent women from all around the world. She mentioned that when the time comes, men and women talent will have equal pay. Pay for wrestlers is important to them. She said she is 100% determined in her role as CBO to help this company succeed. She then announced confirmed signee Britt Baker.
– Conrad Thompson later came back out before being interrupted by MJF, who insulted him. The crowd on hand chanted “asshole” at him and in response to that, MJF proceeded to insult Jacksonville, eventually leading to the Jaguars mascot getting involved in the occasion as well. All that led to Joey Janela and Penelope Ford walking onto the stage to announce their All Elite intentions.
– Hangman Page joined the crowd next and said that he and his friends will work their absolute hardest to make this company a success. He promised that he will be the inaugural AEW champion in 2019. He is then interrupted by PAC (formerly known as Neville) with the Open the Dream Gate Title. PAC, while in a stare down with Hangman, said he is already a champion and Page couldn’t lace up his boots
– Cody and The Young Bucks later returned on stage to announce that there would be a second AEW show in Jacksonville, Florida at a later date, with the proceeds benefiting victims of gun violence.
– The final appearance was former IWGP Intercontinental Champion Chris Jericho. He called himself a maverick, a rebel, and said he always enjoyed trying his luck at something different and that this is not about the money. He confirmed his presence at the Double or Nothing event in May. He said AEW isn’t going to change the world, it’s going to change the universe.
Current AEW Roster –
The Young Bucks, Cody Rhodes, Brandi Rhodes, Chris Jericho, “Hangman” Page, Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian, Scorpio Sky, MJF, Joey Janela, Penelope Ford, Britt Baker, PAC and Billy Gun as a producer.