ORIGINAL: Sports Illustrated has confirmed reports that The Hardys and Anthem Media were close to an agreement during the past month. According to sources, The Hardys would have paid $10,000 – $15,000 for the rights to the Broken Universe. The non-disparagement clause Reby Hardy mentioned was $1,000 for the first offense and $5,000 for each offense after that. The Hardys also allegedly agreed to a press release that would state both sides were on good terms.
The report stated that Anthem wanted half of all of The Hardys revenue, including Jeff’s art and music. The Hardys thought it was a “monumental heist and money-grab.” They said if GFW wants to use the gimmick to make money off of DVDs, merchandise or a digital series on the Broken Hardys, it would be difficult. They claimed they would not endorse the products and would tell fans not to buy them.
GFW said in a statement: “WWE has clearly stated via email that they do not want the ‘Broken Brilliance’ IP [intellectual property]. GFW has been and always will be open to a licensing agreement for the IP to all parties, which is customary in the music and entertainment business, but revolutionary in the professional wrestling business.”
Meanwhile, the SI story also had details about the contract negotiations that led to The Hardys leaving iMPACT! Wrestling. Jeff Hardy was offered a “lucrative” deal, with Matt offered a fraction of what he was making before. He was also promised a position within the creative team, but the offer was taken away by Jeff Jarrett.
ORIGINAL: The issues between GFW and The Hardys over the rights to the Broken Universe seem to show no signs of getting resolved. Jeff Jarrett said earlier this week that GFW still had rights to the gimmick. Reby Hardy then said that a deal had been made and Jarrett was lying. Meanwhile, it was reported on Wednesday that a deal was drafted by The Hardys’ lawyers to turn over the rights to use the gimmick in exchange for possible monetary compensation. That report had noted that GFW President Ed Nordholm had yet to sign off on it.
In the latest edition of Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer revealed that the deal has come close to being made before but Nordholm would not sign off on anything.
He said: “They made a deal last week. But I’ve got to say this. They made a deal last week but when that happened I was pretty much told that they’ve come close before and it’s fallen apart and you know the fact is even though it was agreed upon, Ed Nordholm had not signed off on it. And that happened, you know, it’s happened before. So it’s a very tenuous tense situation. They’ll kind of mediate the thing, they’ll come to an agreement and then Impact won’t sign off on it. It seems to happen. You know, I remember when I was told about the deal pretty much, you know, being close to done, they’re was the caveat of ‘Well they may back out again ’cause they always seem to do that.’”
The deal was that The Hardys would get the gimmick with GFW getting “some type of financial thing” and neither party speaking negatively about the other. According to sources, no one wants to go to court over this.