UPDATE x 2: Before he signed a new contract with WWE, Brock Lesnar had been training heavily for a potential MMA return for the last two months. Lesnar was training up until just a few days ago and that a factor in his decision not to return to the UFC was that both his friends and his wife Rena, aka Rena “Sable” Mero, didn’t want him going back to pro fighting. What he said on ESPN was 100% true.
A babyface turn is expected to occur for him, possibly as soon as WrestleMania. WWE has been discussing a babyface turn since the beginning of the year. There is even talk that Paul Heyman may turn on Lesnar at WrestleMania 31, aligning himself with Roman Reigns and becoming his “mouthpiece”. Numerous WWE officials know that Reigns needs help on the stick (microphone) and Heyman would be able to provide that.
UPDATE: Here is video of Lesnar’s interview on ESPN:
ORIGINAL: Brock Lesnar appeared on ESPN’s Sports Center on Tuesday afternoon and announced that his MMA career is officially over.
Lesnar said it was a very difficult decision that he’s thought about a lot over the past year. It’s something he put a great deal of thought into, but it’s time to officially close the door on an MMA return.
He signed a new contract with WWE last night at Monday Night RAW after Vince McMahon made him an offer that he simply could not refuse.
Lesnar’s WWE deal was set to expire right after WrestleMania, with WWE and MMA insiders expecting a bidding war over his services.
The reigning, defending WWE World Heavyweight Champion will defend the gold against Roman Reigns this Sunday at WrestleMania 31 from Santa Clara, California.
— WWE (@WWE) March 24, 2015