Welcome to the live results watch page for AEW BATTLE OF THE BELTS 2022!
The show is scheduled to start at 8 p.m. ET on TBS as part of the SATURDAY FIGHT NIGHT series of specials.
Follow along here throughout the show for the results of each match as well as my personal thoughts on everything throughout the night down after the separation bar.
Keep refreshing for new updates, check out the quick results at the top of the page for the winners and chat it up with everyone in the comments as the show goes on!
Quick Hits Results:
- AEW TNT Championship Match: Sammy Guevara defeated Dustin Rhodes by pinfall to become interim champion.
- FTW Championship Match: Ricky Starks (c) defeated Matt Sydal by pinfall to retain the title.
- AEW Women’s World Championship Match: Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D. (c) defeated Riho by submission to retain her title.
Author’s POV, Running Commentary & Thoughts:
Interim AEW TNT Championship Match
- If you hadn’t heard, Cody Rhodes is out of this originally scheduled match due to exposure to COVID-19. Instead, Dustin Rhodes is taking his place and they’re referring to this as an interim title match. The winner will be presented with the title, but will have to face Cody down the line to determine who the real champion is.
- By that rationale, I think Sammy pretty much has to win this, right? Although Rhodes vs. Rhodes under this scenario sounds kind of interesting to see develop.
- Rhodes and Guevara shake hands to start off. Good call. Both are babyfaces and this shouldn’t be a random feud that is bitter and personal or anything.
- Split crowd, oddly enough. I didn’t see that coming.
- Guevara does a finger gun to Arn Anderson, who responds with a middle finger. Nice moment.
- Random Fuego Del Sol under the ring.
- Canadian Destroyer through a table on the outside wasn’t how I expected that to go. But hey, at least it’s not on fire, right?
- Speaking of how I didn’t expect things to go, while I predicted Guevara would win, I didn’t think he’d do it with a series of roll-ups and one of them just catching Dustin.
- Dustin gives Sammy a hug and raises his hand.
- Daniel Garcia is now in the ring brawling with Guevara. I guess we have a No. 1 contender of sorts.
- Guevara flat out states they should have a title match on Dynamite. Garcia wanted to ruin his moment? He’ll ruin Garcia’s face.
FTW Championship Match
- We’ve got to, down the line, have Starks lose this belt to Hook, right?
- There’s no way in hell that two-count was a two-count. Referee just literally stopped and waited for Starks to kick out.
- This is the type of match that is fundamentally okay on paper, and there’s not much to complain about (aside from that “kickout”) but it does nothing for me. Battle of the Belts could have felt more special if the tag title match was on here or something instead. This is filler and probably about to end soon without nothing worth talking about for it.
- Look at that. While typing that previous sentence, we got the pinfall.
- Like I said, this was a time-filler and not much more. I think it would have been better suited for an episode of Dynamite and not a special show like this.
- Post-match, Starks and Powerhouse Hobbs are teaming up on Sydal again for some reason. Someone’s about to make a save. Lee Moriarty looks like the guy, if he isn’t just put down and someone else comes out.
- Moriarty is taken out. Ha. Dante Martin is now here to truly save the day. Martin takes out Hobbs and sends them packing.
AEW Women’s World Championship Match
- 60-minute time limit. I’m not at all thinking that should be the case.
- Riho stands no chance. But hey, on paper, she’s the first champion, so this should feel like a big deal. It doesn’t feel like it to me, but I’m essentially just waiting for Thunder Rosa to challenge. No one else feels like a credible enough threat for me to be properly invested.
- Still, prove me wrong. Have a kickass match, ladies.
- Someone the size of Riho doing a crossbody as if it’s going to hurt always makes me laugh.
- This is slower than I had hoped and thought it would be. Crossing my fingers the pace picks up soon.
- Call me crazy, but even though Baker is a heel, I’d rather her be able to beat Riho straight-up than needing TWO people ringside to help her out.
- Riho eventually taps out and Baker’s got her tainted win over her.
For an hour long show out of nowhere, this was fine. If I’m judging it for a special event of sorts, I think it was underwhelming. Give me the tag title match instead and this receives a massive upgrade. I honestly think this almost would have been better as just Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson and nothing else, too.
Tell us your thoughts on AEW Battle of the Belts 2022 in the comments below!