Tonight’s WWE SmackDown on FOX opens up with a video package looking at recent happenings between Seth Rollins and WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns. We also see SmackDown Tag Team Champions The Usos attacking Rollins on RAW. We’re live from the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee as Michael Cole welcomes us to SmackDown. He’s joined at ringside by Pat McAfee.
– We go right to the ring and SmackDown Tag Team Champions The Usos are already out – Jimmy Uso and Jey Uso. They say they are here for reason only – to acknowledge the longest-reigning WWE Universal Champion, who has been champion for 508 days. They say there have been a few big names to hold the Universal Title but not that long – not Kevin Owens, not Seth Rollins, not current WWE Champion Brock Lesnar, but there is one – the Head of The Table, the Tribal Chief. They go on with the grand introduction for their cousin, Roman Reigns. The music hits and out comes Reigns to a loud reaction.
Reigns stops on the way to the ring and raises the strap in the air as pyro goes off. He hits the ring to more pyro as fans boo and cheer. Reigns takes the mic and tells Nashville to acknowledge him. The Usos put him over and send us to a video package begins with Reigns winning the Universal Title at WWE Payback 2020. The video includes more footage from Reigns’ 508-day reign. Reigns is all smiles as we come back from the video. Before he can speak, the music interrupts and out comes Rollins to another mixed reaction.
Rollins asks what kind of party would this be without him. He gives them props for the video package and congratulates Reigns. Rollins says we should celebrate the fact that a title reign will be ending soon, and for Reigns making a man out of him last week. Rollins goes on about how Reigns took what he said literally, and sent his cousins to RAW to speak for him. Rollins goes on and says we should be celebrating the longest-reigning SmackDown Tag Team Champions The Usos. Rollins says The Usos are the cornerstone of Reigns’ success, and all of this wouldn’t be possible if Reigns didn’t have them. Rollins tries to get a chant going for The Usos.
Reigns says Rollins comes out here and makes the same excuses. He wonders if John Cena wrote that promo because he’s saying the same thing. Reigns promises their Royal Rumble match will be one-on-one and he will win. Rollins tells Reigns to put his money where his mouth is – Rollins offers to find a partner to face The Usos and if they win, The Usos will be banned from ringside at The Rumble. The Usos agree and say we’ve got a main event. The Usos say Rollins is crazy, and he won’t be able to find anyone in the back to deal with him so they’re good. Rollins says they have a point but… the music interrupts and out comes Owens.
Owens joins Rollins on the stage. Reigns calls for this stupid music to be cut. He says nothing is official until The Tribal Chief approves. Reigns says when Rollins loses tonight, that means he will also lose his Royal Rumble title shot and then Reigns is going on vacation until WrestleMania 38. Reigns asks if they have a deal. Rollins thinks it over and finally accepts the challenge. Rollins’ music starts up as The Bloodline looks on. We go to commercial.
Kofi Kingston vs. Madcap Moss
Moss goes for a Razor’s Edge but Kofi slides out to his feet, then levels Moss with a jumping kick to the face out of nowhere. Kofi covers for the pin to win.
Winner: Kofi Kingston
– After the match, Big E joins Kofi to celebrate as the music hits and we get replays. Corbin acts like he wants to come in and Big E tells him to jump if he feels froggy. Corbin decides against coming in as Moss gets back to his feet. Big E drops Moss with a Big Ending in the middle of the ring as Corbin looks on from the floor. The New Day dances to celebrate.
– Cole sends us to a Progressive-sponsored Match Flo video looking at how Aliyah won her blue brand singles in-ring debut over Natalya last week, setting a new record for the fastest win ever at 3.17 seconds.
Aliyah vs. Natalya
Natalya rocks her and stomps away as the referee warns her. Natalya goes on and keeps Aliyah down, then stomps away again as the referee warns her. Natalya keeps stomping and the referee calls the match.
Winner by DQ: Aliyah
– After the bell, Samantha Irvin announces Aliyah as the winner and Natalya seethes some more. Natalya stomps away until the music interrupts and out comes Xia Li, The Protector. Natalya looks a bit nervous as Li hits the ring. Natalya goes to attack but Li strikes her and knocks her out of the ring. Li checks on Aliyah as a shocked Natalya looks on from ringside. Natalya backs up the ramp as Li and Aliyah stand together in the ring.
Los Lotharios vs. Viking Raiders
Angel tags in and they double team Erik now. Los Lotharios with another quick tag and double team offense on Erik. Humberto with a 2 count. Humberto goes for a moonsault in the middle of the ring but Erik counters and levels him with a knee to the face. Ivar and Angel tag in now. Ivar unloads and hits a crossbody. Humberto runs in but Ivar nails a big spin kick to the mouth. Angel blocks Ivar from the corner and covers for a close 2 count.
Ivar is double teamed but Erik tags in and they hit a big combination Spinebuster and World’s Strongest Slam to Los Lotharios. Humberto then takes The Viking Experience in the middle of the ring for the pin to win.
Winners: The Viking Raiders
– After the match, Erik and Ivar stand tall and celebrate as the music hits. We go to replays.
– We see what happened between Naomi and Sonya Deville last week with Adam Pearce granting a Championship Contender’s match to Naomi.
Naomi vs. Charlotte Flair
Naomi ends up pinning Flair but Deville acts like she doesn’t see it while recovering at ringside. Naomi yells at Deville but Flair comes behind with a chop block to take her leg out. Flair applies the Figure Four and bridges into the Figure Eight for the submission win.
Winner: Charlotte Flair
– After the match, Flair keeps the submission applied as Deville looks on and smiles. Flair makes her exit as the music hits. Deville kneels down and talks some trash to Naomi as she sells the hurt leg. Deville laughs as she makes her exit.
– Kayla Braxton is backstage with Seth Rollins and Kevin Owens. They talk about the high stakes for tonight’s tag team main event and Owens is all about fighting for his friend. Owens says he would be the longest-reigning Universal Champion if it weren’t for The Usos, and The Usos doing what they are trying to do to Rollins tears him up inside. Rollins says the stakes are high but worth the reward. Rollins goes on and says he knows he can beat Roman Reigns one-on-one.
– We go back to the ring and out comes Sami Zayn. Cole says Zayn has promised to out-do the prank that originally made Jackass star Johnny Knoxville famous. Zayn hits the ring and poses in the corner as we go back to commercial.
Back from the break and Celebrity WWE Hall of Famer Kid Rock is shown at ringside watching the show. We go back to the ring for another In-Zayn stunt segment with Sami. Sami has several self-defense items on a table and says he will be using them on himself to prove that anything Knoxville can do, Sami can do better. He has a livestock stun gun first, with 3 levels. Sami shocks his leg with the first level of voltage and it surprises him. Fans boo. The second level really shocks him.
The music interrupts and out comes Knoxville to a pop. Fans chant his name as he hits the ring. Knoxville says Sami was so worried about Knoxville making a mockery of his profession, he’s doing the same to his now. Knoxville says he’s been around these weapons and something doesn’t seem right. Knoxville reveals that Sami forgot to turn the stunner on. Sami says it was on, but it was turned off just now. Knoxville turns it on and shocks Sami, sending him to the mat.
Knoxville helps Sami up and leans him against the ropes. Knoxville says Sami is a good guy, and he will see him at the Royal Rumble. Knoxville dumps Sami over the top rope to the floor, then celebrates and makes his exit as the Jackass music plays.
– We go backstage and WWE Hall of Famer Eric Bischoff is with Adam Pearce in his office. Bischoff is talking to Pearce about being a leader when Sonya Deville walks in. Pearce introduces them. Pearce says what happened just now with Naomi was a case of Deville going over the line and stepping over her bounds. He says he talked it over with Bischoff and they believe the feud with Naomi is affecting Deville’s leadership abilities. Pearce says he’s going to suggest to WWE officials that Deville vs. Naomi happens next Friday night. Deville says OK, and for Pearce to let her know what officials say. Deville walks off. Bischoff says now that was leadership. Pearce thanks him.
Sheamus vs. Ricochet
– After the match, Sheamus stands tall as the music hits. Holland joins him in the ring and raises his arm.
– We see The Bloodline backstage talking in their locker room suite. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and Rick Boogs is walking with WWE Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura. They walk up on WWE Hall of Famer Jeff Jarrett. He gives props for the guitar work, and Boogs does his “Rick… Boogs!” intro, which Jarrett also liked.
The Usos vs. Kevin Owens and Seth Rollins
Jey superkicks Rollins down. Jey blocks a Stunner from Owens. Owens blocks a kick and drops Jey with a Stunner. Jimmy superkicks Owens. Rollins superkicks Jimmy. Rollins rocks Jimmy with a right hand and clubs him in the back of the neck with a forearm. Fans chant for Rollins as he waits in the corner now. Rollins goes for the Stomp to Jimmy and hits it but Reigns rushes the ring out of nowhere, dropping Rollins with a Superman Punch. The referee calls the match.
Winners by DQ: Seth Rollins and Kevin Owens
– After the match, Reigns exits the ring to boos. Owens and Rollins are announced as the winners by disqualification. Cole confirms that The Usos will be banned from ringside at the Royal Rumble. Rollins’ music starts up as he looks on and smiles. Reigns heads to the ramp and seethes as SmackDown goes off the air.