Welcome back to another round of Quick Takes—a post that indulges in the topics that aren’t worth dedicating a full article to, but are still on my mind.
Each week, I try to cram in as many smaller talking points as I can via a speedier process, and I invite you to chime in with your own thoughts about these topics and anything else by keeping the discussion going in the comments below! Drop some more talking points in there for everyone to chat it up about, too!
Without further ado, let’s get into this week’s topics.
RIP Pat Patterson
As we all know, Pat Patterson passed away earlier this week. While I can’t tell you my favorite match of his, I can say that it’s clear his contributions to even just match finishes alone is astounding. Truly, he was one of those great minds that greatly improved the business and he’ll be missed.
Thoughts on AEW’s Winter is Coming Special
First up, not to be negative, but I hated this name. Why are they using a Game of Thrones reference? That’s like having “WWE Save the Cheerleader, Save the World” or “AEW The Truth is Out There” or something. Ridiculous. I don’t care how much they mark out over GOT, you shouldn’t name your show based on another show. I’m a huge James Bond fan and I appreciate the Casino Battle Royale pun, but you’re not going to hear me suggest a pay-per-view or something called Moonraker.
- Dynamite Diamond Battle Royal = Sammy Guevara is great. Jungle Boy is great. MJF is great and I loved the ending of this. I can’t imagine Orange Cassidy wins the ring next week as it would be better off staying with MJF. I’m glad he has to defend it, though.
- The Inner Circle isn’t breaking up next week, but I’m curious what the plan is for how they’ll deal with this ultimatum. I hope it’s not just a promo where nothing happens but they shake hands and it’s a waste of time.
- I’d have been much more into Chris Jericho vs. Frankie Kazarian 10 years ago.
- I can’t get into The Hybrid 2 beyond Angelico’s entrance. They just don’t have enough character for me to sink my teeth into. The Acclaimed is already kind of annoying me, too, as I don’t think the rap stuff is all that impressive. To each his own. I’m sure plenty of people disagree with me and that’s fine.
- Leyla Hirsch is smaller than I thought she was. She’s like Shayna Baszler’s little sister or something. Not sure why they had her tap out if they see something in her worth protecting.
- Powerhouse Hobbs looks so much better with the singlet, but I hate that name. That isn’t new to this week, but I haven’t said it anywhere else.
- Sting’s cool. I would have liked it better if he did something instead of just walking to the ring and looking at people, though. Also, they botched the camera angle where Darby Allin’s half of his face WITHOUT the makeup was in the shot the whole time. Major missed opportunity to have the face paint in the shot. I’m really curious if Sting is going to wrestle and if so, how well he’ll do, considering how he was when we last saw him. There’s value to him, for sure, but I’m not going so incredibly gaga (to use a Pat Patterson term) over him like some other people. Also, throw another coin into the jar if you’re counting how many things prove Cody Rhodes really really wants AEW to be WCW 2.0. More on that, in a way, below.
- Hikaru Shida vs Abadon? Not interested.
- Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of Kenny Omega beating Jon Moxley for the AEW World Championship. I think this was the right time to do it. Plus, having him turn heel in the process like that was smart. The tease of the Impact Wrestling crossover thing is really interesting, too. Granted, I don’t watch Impact and I’m still not going to watch it, but that’s super fun that they’re going to do crossovers with seemingly New Japan, NWA, AAA and now even Impact. There should be more of this going around. People should help each other out. It’s not like they’re going to lose anything. Let’s all be friends.
- Very strange they had Eddie Kingston talking at the end of the show like that. Who made that call?
Someone on Twitter is trying to claim that they are rebooting WCW in 2021. Almost immediately, the people they specifically mentioned would be part of this nonsensical idea refuted those claims. However, they’re maintaining that this is still true.
It’s not. There’s no way. WWE owns the rights (and it makes no sense someone would have “50% of the rights” and all that information they’re claiming) after all this time. WWE wouldn’t let it happen. Look at how AEW wasn’t even able to grab trademarks like The Match Beyond. You really think someone could get away with using the WCW name and logo???
This did make me laugh, though.
What are your takes on these topics? Keep the discussion going in the comments below!