Credit: Stephen Lyon
As far as Wrestle Reunion goes, that was really cool. It was my first time at one of these things and it was great. Very informal, with all manner of stars past and present mixing with each other and the fans. Everyone was very approachable. Bill Apter was mc and did a good job. Before the legends show there was an autograph session with everyone. Apter was getting fans do wrestler impersonations. Colt Cobana did a funny one as the Genius Lanny Poffo, reading out a poem about seeing Torrie Wilson’s parts unknown. He also did a great Terry Funk impersonation too.
1. Kevin Sullivan & Rick Steiner beat New Age Outlaws. Mickey Jay was the ref, said to be his first reffing gig since beating Cancer. J.J. Dillon helped Sullivan & Steiner win.
2 Fit Finlay beat Harry Smith. Finlay worked as a face, Smith as a heel. Stiff match, best on the card.
3. James Manning (w/Freight Train) beat Matt Classic. Comedic match. Classic (aka Colt Cobana) did mic work heavily pushing the $5 wrestling show later tonight.
4. Willy Clay Jr beat Wildman Wolf. Wolf was a cross between Virgil & Zeus. Catcalls for both guys, as most had no idea who either wrestler were.
5. Vader beat Steve Stasiak & Fury(?) in a handicap squash match. Fans were really into Vader.
6. Amber O’Neill beat Leilani Kai.
7 Tito Santana beat Honky Tonk Man. Honky sang his theme prematch. Also challenged Vladimir the WWF Super Fan to a fight. Santana hasn’t aged a bit and is still on great shape.
Buddy Colt, Stan Hansen, Jake Roberts, Jimmy Garvin, Bill Apter were all honoured before the main event.
8 Mike Graham & B. Brian Blair & Lanny Poffo & Carlos Colon beat Larry Zbyszko & Ron Bass & Masked Superstar & Buddy Colt in an 8 man elimination match. McGraw was in the faces corner, Paul Jones in the heels corner. Jones was very frail, using a cane. Fans were respectful to all the guys. Poffo read a poem dedicated to Randy Savage before the match. Zbyszko is in amazing shape for a man of his age, as was Blair. Those two looked the best in the ring as well out of all 8 men.
Fun show that lasted 2 hours with no intermission. Numerous guys stayed from the autograph signing to watch at least the start of the show including Bobby Heenan who was accompanied by his wife. I had the privilege of meeting Heenan and although it is hard to understand what he is staying, you can tell he still loves interacting with the fans.